Friday, April 24, 2020

My Standard Shopping List

Keeping the pantry stocked is the key to cooking at home. If I open the fridge and see nothing quick or easy to cook during the week, I tend to order out, especially if I waited too long and I am at a 3 or below on the hunger scale.

Here is a standard list of ingredients to keep on hand to make an entire week’s worth of meals:

Produce: fresh fruit for snacking and breakfast; salad greens and vegetables; seasonal vegetable; broccoli; potatoes or sweet potatoes; onions; garlic

When I say fruit, I stick to fruit that is good for me: tomato, avocado, blueberries, strawberries, etc., and I avoid the ones that have a high sugar content such as banana, pineapple, mango, etc. It is not to say I never eat them because it is all about harmony between the sublime and the everyday.  Balance is everything, and being Cuban-American, I gotta have my tropical fruit once and a while!.

Meat: boneless chicken breasts; bacon, ground meat, and sausage for the freezer; other meat that you like for stir-fries or grilling

I get turkey bacon, sausage, and ground meat I get is turkey, and it has worked out great.

Eggs: I buy 1 carton of 18 to make sure I always have enough eggs on hand for a quick meal

Dairy: yogurt for snacking and breakfast; one or two kinds of cheese; butter, almond milk

I am not a yogurt fan. It's a texture thing. (Don't judge me!) If you are like me, then I recommend adding Greek yogurt to your food instead of sour cream. you might find i more tolerable that way.

Bread: tortillas (i buy corn for me, flour for others); breakfast bread (croissants are my fave); sandwich rolls

I skip everything on this list except for the corn tortillas. The rest is for my family. Four corn tortillas have about the same amount of carbs as two flour tortillas.

Pantry: various dried pasta; canned beans and tomatoes; tomato puree; chicken stock; olive oil and vinegar; salsas, sauces, and condiments that you enjoy (I make my own); nuts and popcorn. (Gotta have my popcorn!)

No comments:

Post a Comment