Wednesday, April 22, 2020

My Food Diary Guide


From my LiveJournal...circa 2019

What exactly is a food diary?

A food diary is a record of foods that you eat on a meal-by-meal, daily, or weekly basis. I can include nutritional or other dietary information, organize and track foods by food group, and so on. This lets me monitor what, when, and how often I eat, as well as where your nutrition needs lie.

How does it help me?

  • It keeps me accountable for my calorie/carb consumption.
  • It helps me zero in on my nutritional needs.
  • It helps you identify your eating habits, and correct them if necessary.
  • It works well together with other types of health diaries.
What am I tracking?

The food — Write down everything I eat or drink, every day, no matter how small. Included ingredients if I know them.

The amount — Write down the amount (small, medium, large) if I know the serving size that would be even better.

The nutrition stats — Calories, fat, carbs, and sugar are what I watch.

The time — When do I eat – as well and how much do I eat at the time?

The scenario — Am I eating at home, or somewhere else? Am I eating alone, or with other people? Am I focused on another activity while eating, or was eating my only preoccupation?

My feelings — Record how hungry am I (on a scale of 1 to 10) before I eat, and note how happy or sad I am before, while, and after I eat.

Why do I want to keep a food diary?
My why — (Examples: I want to lose 50 lbs. I want to monitor how much sugar I take.)

Goal — (I want to reduce the amount of insulin I have to take. I want to give my best to my loved ones and that includes my health.)

Be honest, keep it handy, and keep at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment