Monday, April 20, 2020

Why I Want to Meal Plan



Meal planning consists of three basic steps: 1. Selecting your meals for at least a week. 2.  Shipping for the ingredients based on the meals you have selected.  3. Setting aside time to prepare the upcoming meals you chose.  I like to add 4. Entering it all in my paper planner (pen to paper makes me happy).

Most people know that meal planning can help save money, lose weight, simplify the cooking process, and reduce the stress of "what's for dinner?" Those are all common reasons that many choose to have a meal plan.

For me, it is about finding that sweet spot between meal planning and getting to eat spontaneous meals from time to time. It is about avoiding foods that are slowly poisoning me when someone else prepares the food without feeling remorse afterward or beating myself up because I made a poor choice or made someone feel awkward, rejected or slighted in some way. Saying no at a restaurant is simple; you order what you want from a menu and skip what you do not want. Rejecting a meal specially made meal when you are invited as a dinner guest in someone's home is an entirely different, much more delicate matter - especially among Latinos.

I have gone to both extremes: coming up with a reason to cancel, or accepting the invitation and eating whatever I was served; neither of which I recommend.  The more consistently I meal plan, the less anxious I will feel about occasionally indulging in a meal made with love at a friend's.

Meal prepping can involve eating the same dish or types of food a few days in a row.  It is not for people who prize variety and freshness above all else.  I do not mind leftovers, I would even say I enjoy them. What I want is options and simple recipes for everyday meals. I want sanity and peace.

I will not stick to fancy dishes or the time and effort they take on a daily basis. I do not always want to start from scratch or spend hours perusing a cookbook.  That is just not for me.  I want to be intentional and mindful about what I eat, understand how it fuels my body, be aware of how it makes me feel, and enjoy the company I am with. I am not fascinated with or entertained by how unique or special the dish is.

Cooking is the means to an end for me. It is not a passion of mine, although I love cooking for loved ones, I am not a foodie or an epicurean by any means.  I love a well-prepared meal and enjoy it most when in good company.   I need to enjoy meal planning and to keep it simple for it to be sustainable.

No comments:

Post a Comment