Wednesday, April 22, 2020

My first six days attempting to use the Flash Libre

From my LiveJournal...circa 2019

Flash Glucose Monitoring - Day 1

"A flash glucose monitor is a small sensor that you wear on your skin. We call it Flash for short.

It records your glucose (sugar) levels continuously throughout the day and you can access them by scanning the sensor whenever you want to.

The sensor doesn’t actually measure your blood sugar level, it measures the amount of glucose in the fluid that surrounds your body cells – called interstitial fluid. There is a small, time-delay when checking this fluid, especially after eating or if you're exercising. So, your flash glucose monitor result isn't always exactly the same as your finger-prick result. This means you'll still need to do a finger-prick test if you’re thinking of changing your treatment at any point, like if you need to take more insulin or if you're treating a hypo, so you can get the most accurate result.

There is only one flash glucose monitor manufactured at the moment. This is called the Freestyle Libre."

— The above blurb was retrieved Jan. 17, 2019 from https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/managing-your-diabetes/testing/flash-glucose-monitoring

So far, I have not been successful at it but I suspect it is a user error and not the Flash.  I am on my second sensor.  The monitor could not read the first sensor despite several tries. It said the sensor was not reading correctly. Certain that it was fine I kept trying but no-go,  so I removed it.  The needle was bent.  There is a small needle attached to it that gets snap-pressed into your arm.  I was really scared to do it last night because I was afraid it would hurt but I didn't even flinch. It was virtually pain-free.

I suppose in my hesitation I must have been too skittish and the needle did not press in properly. When I peeled the sensor off the needle was bent.  It has an adhesive, a very good one so it was not that easy to remove. I was glad to know it wouldn't just fall off or something.  Those things are kind of expensive.

So, I have applied a second sensor.  This second one is not erroring out, but Flash keeps reading that it is loose on my skin. Although the video I watched about and the article above say it reads through clothes, I will pull my sleeve up this time. It is my third time trying with the 2nd sensor and both times before I had clothes. It stinks because I have to wait 60 minutes every time before I can start the sensor again. It's 8:20a now. I have been trying since a little before 6 a.m.

---

I made the mistake of not waiting for the 60 minutes. It said to try again but, in the background, it was still counting down (44 minutes left I think?) so it restarted at 60 minutes.  I am waiting until 10a before I try again. LOL aye aye aye!

Okay, this is not funny anymore. It's my third try and I had to start with a new sensor again (another 60-minute wait).

10:38a — I decided to write the doctor's office for assistance. I just tried again and I have to wait 60 minutes.  Now I'm slightly annoyed.

11:54 — Same result. ง(•̀o•́)ง !!!

I never received a response from the doctor.

Flash Glucose Monitoring - Day 2

I'm feeling a bit anxious about what to eat and tracking my food and glucose. I don't know why.  I want to be on top of it but I think I'm scared of what I will have to write down.  Maybe I am not ready to face it. It feels slightly overwhelming and when I feel overwhelmed, I get paralyzed sometimes.

Nothing to do but to start. I have not even taken my first reading this morning. The monitor still isn't reading the scanner.  I have the second scanner still on me. They are too expensive to waste on mistakes.  A pack of six cost me over $200.  That means every sensor average over $30 each.

I check my BgL by pricking my finger.  I have not had anything to eat so it's a fast reading.

10:44 a.m. — Haven't had anything to eat or drink.

BgL: 320 before 11 a.m. Lunch

Basaglar: 80 cc

Humalog: 30 Base + 8 due to reading

Day 3 and 4 I didn't even bother with it. It was the weekend and I was too busy to bother.

Flash Glucose Monitoring - Day 5

Day 5 and it's a Monday. I am at work and already tried to use it early this morning. The doctor wrote back that I could go back to see her assistant (which is a long drive for me) or call the company and see if they can assist me.  I am very annoyed and feel like giving up on the whole thing.  Carmen thinks it is a waste of money and not worth it (typical of my sweet, negative-nancy lol) but I am not quite there yet.  My BgL is very high today (496) after just a cup of coffee which means my levels are completely out of control and that translates into a lot of finger-pricking until it is regulated again.  If I can manage to learn how to use the scanner I think it will really help the doctor and me.  So I'm going to contact them and see if they can help even though I'm very annoyed and I am getting frustrated.

—

I called and they said the sensor was faulty and they would send two replacements at no extra cost. Yay! I will try the third one when I get home and hopefully, the third time's a charm.

Flash Glucose Monitoring - Day 6

Success! Yay! It is extremely useful now that it works. I learned that it does actually read the same way as the finger pricking, nor does it substitute it, but the data is more accessible and it is way easier for me to check and report back to the doctor.  I love it so far!

Abbott Lab did replace the sensors and sent them overnight at no cost to me as promised so I'm happy about that, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment